Your hunting trips are serious business, that’s why you need the absolute best hunting backpack for elk hunt enthusiasts.
You sit in your office looking out of the window. Your yearly week-long elk hunt is only two weeks away, and you can’t wait to get back to that beautiful backcountry. However, after testing out your pack last night, you realize you had a problem after it fell to the floor with a snap during a load test.
Now you need new gear and, unlike last year, you’re determined to only buy the best hunting backpack for elk hunt adventures. So you begin your long and deliberate search to find the perfect elk hunting bag. Because unlike the petty concerns of the long line of drivers waiting impatiently on the other side of your DMV office door, your hunting trips are indeed serious business.
Best Hunting Backpack Comparison Table
Tips for Bagging the Best Hunting Backpack for Elk Hunt Adventures
Here are a few things you need to look for when picking the best hunting backpack for elk hunt fun. First, you want a bag that can haul heavy loads. A good number for a pack is a load capacity of at least 100 pounds or more. That’s because elk meat and gear will most likely weigh close to that amount. Next, your backpack needs to have a torso strap that fits around your waist comfortably with a full load. You don’t want to discover that the torso strap is uncomfortable by hour five into a four-day elk hunt.
You also need to make sure it has enough pockets and compartments for all your gear. What you need are different pockets to help you organize and find equipment easily during the hunt. Quiet material and zippers are also vital. You don’t want to scare off your prey while digging around for a candy bar. And for those going on on their first elk hunt, here is a list of a few items every hunter should pack in their gear.
How We Hunted for the Best Hunting Backpack for Elk Hunt Excursions
To track down the best hunting backpack for elk hunt hunting, we searched far and wide going through numerous internet forums and social media pages. After gathering our list of recommendations from real hunters, we thinned the herd by choosing only the packs with the best customer reviews. Finally, we picked the best pack based on not only customer reviews but also pricing and warranty.
Here Are the Finalists in Our Sights
In our quest to find the best hunting backpack for elk hunt fun, we managed to locate eight of the most popular packs on the market today. These are all large capacity bags that most customers confirm are perfect for multi-day hunts. Additionally, they all offer hookups for a rifle or crossbow, and many have flexible torso options. The price of these packs ranges from around $$ to $$. While the warranty terms for these packs vary, we’ve found that many offer lifetime warranties.
Cabela’s Multi-Day Hunting Pack
The first pack in our search for the best hunting backpack for elk hunt expeditions is Cabela’s Multi-Day Hunting Pack. This pack features an integrated and expandable meat chamber, as well as locking compression straps and buckles to secure your haul. Plus, it has external straps and a boot that allows you to carry your bow or rifle easily. There are also various adjustable torso options available within the back panel. Also, there’s improved hip belt padding for extra comfort and a holster attachment for your sidearm. Finally, this pack expands from 2,500 to 4,000 cubic inches.
Cabela’s customers rated this pack 4.3 out of 5 stars. One customer stated that he packed this bag with up to 80 pounds of gear and it held up well during a long backcountry excursion.
However, there were a few complaints. Apparently, the rifle holder positions the rifle in such a way that makes it very difficult to sit down on a large rock or tree stump to rest. Another customer called the gatekeeper buckles annoying but stronger than traditional buckles. Also, a few customers noted that this pack is a little noisy.
The pack can cost between $$ to $$. Additionally, it comes with a 90-day return policy.
Timber Hawk Killshot Backpack
The second bag in our best hunting backpack for elk hunt enthusiasts search is the Timber Hawk Killshot Backpack. This pack features high-density, breathable foam-padded shoulder and back straps. It has a durable top haul handle, and large loop zipper pulls that make it easier to open and close with gloves. Plus, it has a 56.2-liter capacity and allows you to carry a bow, rifle, or tripod in a variety of different ways. This pack also comes with a two-liter reversible hydration bladder and is constructed with durable, super-quiet twill lining with a pullout rain cover. The main compartment can hold enough gear for several days, and it has top and bottom lashing points for external storage options. Finally, it has a Quick-Ditch bail-out system that allows you to release both shoulder straps instantly.
Amazon customers rated this pack 4.6 out of 5 stars. One hunter said this pack was his “everything but the kitchen sink” go-to pack for multi-day excursions, and that it rode very comfortably on his back.
There were only a few notes of discord. One hunter said that it was too heavy, and another said it wasn’t ideal for tree stand bow hunters.
This pack retails between $$ to $$. Additionally, it comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Multi-day backcountry pack for serious hunters with 56.2-liter capacity; carries a rifle, bow or tripod in multiple ways
- Includes durable, ultra-quiet twill lining, pull-out rain cover and two-liter reversible hydration bladder
- Adjustable shoulder strap system fits multiple torso sizes; deluxe padded waist belt with ergonomic tightening adjustment
- Main compartment with enough capacity to hold several nights' worth of gear; bottom and top lashing points for external storage
- Backed by lifetime manufacturer's warranty
ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag
The third hopeful in our search for the best hunting backpack for elk hunt trips is the ALPS OutdoorZ Commander. This pack features durable Nylon Ripstop fabric that ensures long-lasting use even under the most challenging weather conditions. You can also organize your gear in a crazy number of pockets. It has two side accessory hinged pockets and a front, primary, and spotting scope pocket. Not to mention, it has a place to stow your rifle. Lastly, you can also detach the bag and use the frame to haul meat with its unique, secure latching system.
On Amazon, customers rated the pack 4.2 out of 5 stars. One hunter said he took the bag on a 2-week solo expedition in the Colorado high country and it was able to carry loads over 95 pounds with ease. He said he put the bag through hell and back and it performed brilliantly.
However, some customers did point out a few flaws in the pack. One customer said that it’s not waterproof. Another said the hip belt was uncomfortable.
This bag can cost from $$ to $$. As for the warranty policy, the ALPs does not give a specific timeframe. However, they do encourage customers to email a picture of the defect or missing component, and they will make a final decision to replace or repair after they receive the item.
- Made of durable Nylon Rip stop fabric, giving you a long lasting use in the harshest weather environments
- Organize your gear in one of the many pockets: two side accessory hinged pockets, main, front and spotting scope pocket
- Keep your essentials close with accommodation for clip-style holster, drop-down rifle pocket and hydration pocket and port
- Detach your bag and use the frame to haul out meat with a unique, secure lashing system
- Total Weight: 7 lbs. 5 oz., Bag Weight: 2 lbs. 3 oz., Size: 5250³
The fourth candidate in our quest for the best hunting backpack for elk hunt fun is the Badlands 2200. This pack features ThermoMold Suspension which uses ergonomically advanced molded foam that adapts to give you a customized fit. It also features a T-6 Aircraft Aluminium internal frame, as well as loaded lifter straps that transfer weight to your hips, reducing fatigue. This pack consists of whisper-quiet KXO-32 fabric that gives you a more stealthy approach. Plus, it’s versatile, featuring an integrated rifle boot and built-in hip belt pistol holders. Finally, this pack is compatible with Badland’s Bow Boot as well as two-liter hydration systems.
Amazon customers rated this pack 4.7 out of 5 stars. One Vietnam vet said the bag was perfect for packing out elk and handled a 7-day hike with 30 pounds of gear like it was child’s play.
The only complaints were that it didn’t have enough main pockets and may not fit women as well as men.
This pack can cost from $$ to $$ and includes Badland’s “Legendary” lifetime warranty.
- FULLY LOADED - The 2200 covers all the bases with a built-in meat shelf, internal scope and tripod pockets, and a zippered rear entry panel for quick access to your gear; DWR-treated fabric offers scent suppression and resists moisture, dirt, and blood
- COMFORTABLE CARRY - ThermoMold Suspension utilizes molded foam so ergonomically advanced that it virtually matches every contour of the human form; T-6 Aircraft Aluminum internal frame and load lifter straps transfer weight to your hips to reduce fatigue
- STEALTHY - A neutral color palette allows the Approach pattern to adapt to your surroundings AND the current lighting; Blends seamlessly into a wide array of environments; Teams up with whisper-quiet KXO-32 fabric to make you undetectable to your prey
- VERSATILE - Features an integrated rifle boot and built-in hipbelt pistol holders; Compression straps to give you lots of options for gear attachment; Compatible with 2-liter hydration systems and the Badlands Bow Boot
- TECHNICAL SPECS - Weighs 5 lb 15 oz (2.7 kg) and measures 19 x 17 x 9 inches; Main compartment has a volume of 1980 cubic inches (32.4 L); Total volume is 2250 cubic inches (36.9 L); 8 pockets
Eberlestock Team Elk Pack
The next contestant in our search for the best hunting backpack for elk hunt fanatics is the Eberlestock Team Elk Pack. This pack features a built-in bow carrier, and it has two full-depth pockets that you can use for items such as scopes and hydration bags. Plus, you can also zip up both the rifle scabbard and the bow carrier when not in use. Finally, the pack is made out of NT7 waterproof fabric and features a waterproof design to keep your gear and meat dry.
Amazon customers rated this pack 4.3 out of 5 stars. One customer said that the box exceeded expectations on a 35-mile 5-day hunt at elevations of up to 10,000 feet.
However, another customer said it was more of a day pack due to its small frame and limited capacity.
This pack costs from $$ to $$ and includes Eberlestock’s Simple Lifetime Warranty.
- Built-in bow carrier
- Has two full-depth spotting scope / hydration pockets
- Both the rifle scabbard and bow carrier zip up when not in use.
- Material: NT7 waterproof fabric / water resistant construction
- Color: Hide-Open Timber Veil
Tenzing TZ 4000
The sixth product in our best hunting backpack for elk hunt adventures search is the Tenzing 4000. This pack features a fully adjustable torso suspension, and two rigid internal aluminum frame stays. It also has padded hip support and a sleeping bag compartment. Plus, it features a channeled, air-cooled back pad as well as a foldout bow and gun carrying boot. Finally, it has a built-in rain cover and detachable day pack.
On Amazon, customers rated this pack 4.1 out of 5 stars. One customer gloated over his pack’s integrated rain cover, describing how his friends struggled to cover their gear with flimsy garbage bags while his stuff stayed nice and dry.
However, a few customers complained that the load lifters didn’t work as they should.
This pack costs from $$ to $$. Unfortunately, the manufacturer does not make the warranty term very clear on its website. You either get a one, two, or lifetime warranty depending on the UPC on the merchandise. You can also contact the company to find out which warranty covers your product.
- Fully adjustable torso suspension
- Two rigid internal aluminum frame stays
- Padded hip support
- Channeled, air-cooled back pad
- Foldout bow and gun carrying boot
Sportsman’s Outdoor Horn Hunter Full Curl System Backpack
The next challenger in our search for the best hunting backpack for elk hunt enthusiasts is the Sportsman’s Horn Hunter Full Curl System Backpack. This pack includes an HH12 full curl bag with 5,000 cubic inches of space and an HH13 Hybrid Full Curl Frame. Plus, it comes with an HH11 Full Curl Pack and features a loading shelf, wings, and compression strap system. Finally, there’s a new Adjustable Torso System that can be modified to fit your specific torso length for better comfort.
Amazon customers rated this product 4.4 out of 5 stars. One customer said that he was able to fully pack out his elk and had room to spare for gear during a four-day hunt.
However, another customer noted that the straps felt flimsy. Additionally, one reviewer said the shoulder straps started to break after a few days of use.
This pack costs from $$ to $$ and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- This is a day pack for the full curl frame
- 1500 cubic inches of storage
- Weight is 1.8 lbs
- Day pack has 6 compartments to store gear
- Adjustable bow/rifle pouch to carry your weapon with gear grippers
ALPS OutdoorZ Extreme Crossfire X Hunting Pack
The final pack in our quest for the best hunting backpack for elk hunt adventurers is the ALPS OutdoorZ Extreme Crossfire X Hunting Pack. This bag features a comfortable, vented back made of punch molded foam for superior airflow. It has Lycra shoulder straps combined with 168OD nylon ballistic fabric and a dual directional heavy-duty frame to deliver ultra-strong durability. Plus, the Crossfire X comes fully equipped with side, and bottom compression straps, a drop-down pocket, removable accessory pocket, rain cover, H20 port, and side mesh pockets. Lastly, you can pack all your favorite gear and more with its massive 2,325 cubic inches of storage capacity.
Amazon customers rated this pack 4.4 out of 5 stars. One experienced bow hunter described it as the most well thought out bag that he’s ever had the pleasure of owning. He said it was comfortable enough to wear, even packed down with gear, on long distance multi-day hunts.
However, another customer complained that the pack didn’t fit well and that the frame made it painful to wear.
This pack costs from $$ to $$ and comes with a “sort-of depends” warranty, as explained on the ALPS OutdoorZ Commander model.
- Comfortable, vented back with punched molded foam for maximum air flow
- Lycra shoulder straps and 1680D nylon ballistic fabric used throughout pack for ultimate strength
- Fully equipped with bottom and side compression straps, drop-down pocket, rain cover, H2O pocket/port and side mesh pockets
- Our ALPS OutdoorZ Crossfire X is on our best sellers list; this a must have on your next hunt
- Weight: 4 lbs. 5 oz., Capacity: 38L/2325 in³, Camo Pattern: Realtree Edge; Compatible with bow, rifle and clip-style holster
This Is the Absolute Best Hunting Backpack for Elk Hunt
After careful deliberation, we’ve decided the best hunting backpack for elk hunt enthusiasts is the Badlands 2200. People talk about this pack more than just about any other bag on numerous elk hunting forums. Customers just love the company, and the feeling seems mutual as evidenced by Badland’s impressive lifetime warranty, which by the way you should read sometime if you want a good laugh. We hope you’ve found this information useful in your search. Good luck and happy hunting.