When my daughter started school, I figured all backpacks were equal. What was there to know? A couple of pockets, some straps, and boom. Backpack. Good enough. Right? Wrong. As a result, she did not end up with the best backpack for kindergarten. In fact, in the first day of school photos, it looks like her giant pink backpack is eating her.
As it turns out there's quite a bit to know about kids' backpacks. My daughter happened to be a very tiny five-year-old, so her standard-sized school bag looked absurdly large on her back. It also had far more features than was needed for kindergarten and posed a safety risk with straps that were too long. Choosing the best backpack for kindergarten isn't child's play. You have to think about capacity, design, and yes, even safety.
What Do Kindergarteners Carry in a Backpack?
Gone are the days of sending your child out the door with just a notebook and a pencil. And honestly, was that ever really how it was? I'm pretty sure 5-year-olds in the 1950s ate food, had bathroom accidents and carried some school work. Depending on the climate where you live, you may have some need weather-related items like a poncho or umbrella for rain or cold weather accessories to pack. And then, of course, there are the schools' supply lists.
The school will probably ask you to pack snacks. Along with snacks, they must stay hydrated, so you'll need a water bottle as well. If your child is taking lunch from home, some backpacks have additional pockets with food-friendly linings. Others have straps to attach a lunchbox to the bag easily.
Change of clothing
Of course, as our children munch and hydrate all day long, accidents happen. They happen quite a bit. So you should always pack a full change of clothing in their backpack, including socks. Seriously, don't forget the socks. A gallon-sized plastic zip seal bag works perfectly to keep them all together and also doubles as the bag for soiled clothing.
Most schools will provide a school supply list that will cover all of the basics for classroom learning. And fortunately for your child, and you, most of those supplies stay in the classroom. But some will be. Your child may end up carrying the following:
Key Things to Consider
There are some essential features to consider when trying to find the best backpack for kindergarten.
First and foremost, your child will likely use their kindergarten backpack for school one to two years. After that, they usually need something a bit larger and with more function. However, the best kindergarten backpack will last well beyond the school days and make a perfect sleepover bag for years to come.
Considering all of the things your kindergartner may have to carry back and forth to school, their backpack should measure at least 14 to 16 inches tall by at least 11 inches wide.
Fortunately, many of the features for safety also apply to comfort. The best backpack for kindergarten will have two wide, padded shoulder straps. Some packs also have a padded back.
Function and compartments
The best backpack for kindergarten needs to have three compartments: the main compartment, a smaller front pocket, and a holder for a water bottle. These can keep food, school supplies, and clothing separate.
You can expect to pay anywhere between $ and $ for the best backpack for kindergarten, depending on brand, materials, and features.
That is where you and your child may disagree. They may insist on a lower-quality backpack with their favorite licensed character. You may prefer function to fashion. But you can find a happy medium. Target's backpack house brand Cat and Jack, for example, strikes a balance between features and price that pleases kids as well as parents.
The best backpack for kindergarten will be ergonomic and safe. What? Safe? Yes. Here are a few important backpack safety tips:
Many companies offer personalization like adding a child's name to their backpack. However, there is much discussion about the safety of this for children who walk or ride bikes home from school.
Top 10 Options for the Best Backpack for Kindergarten
Without further ado and in no particular order, here are our top picks for the best backpack for kindergarten.
1. L.L.Bean Junior Original Book Pack
The L.L.Bean Junior Original Book Pack is a miniature version of the extremely popular L.L.Bean Original Book Pack. First, this backpack the right size for a kindergartener at 14.5 inches high, 11 inches wide, and 6 inches deep. Additionally, this backpack has three compartments and a water bottle pocket. It also has reflective material on the front and straps for an added layer of safety.
The L.L.Bean Junior Original Book Pack has 23 reviews on the L.L.Bean website with an average of 4.9 out of 5 stars. Furthermore, 96 percent of the reviewers say they would recommend this bag.
L.L.Bean Junior Original Book Pack is only available in L.L.Bean retail stores or on their website with a price range of $ to $.
2. Lands’ End Printed Small Backpack
Next is the Lands' End Printed Small Backpack. Legendary Lands' End quality makes this a top contender for the best backpack for kindergarten. Overall, this backpack is slightly larger than the L.L.Bean pack, measuring 16.5 inches high by 12.5 inches wide by 6 inches deep.
It has one zippered main compartment with a smaller zippered front pocket, as well as two water bottle mesh pockets on either side. For added protection, this bag also has reflective fabrics and an adjustable sternum strap that keeps shoulder straps in place.
The Lands' End website has a total of eight reviews for this bag averaging 4.1 out of 5 stars. Eighty-six percent of reviewers said they would recommend this product to a friend.
You can only purchase the Printed Small Pack in Lands' End stores or on the company's website. It ranges in price from $ to $.
3. Pottery Barn Kids Small Backpack
The Pottery Barn Kids Small Backpack is a stylish bag with lots of features. Given the plethora of prints and patterns, this backpack is definitely in the running for the best backpack for kindergarten. This small backpack is close to the same size as the L.L.Bean pack. It measures 15 inches high by 12 inches wide and 6 inches deep.
It also has a large main compartment, small front pocket, two mesh water bottle pockets, and clipping straps designed to hold the matching lunch bag. It's made of water-resistant materials. The back and straps are padded.
Unfortunately, the Pottery Barn Kids website does not feature customer reviews. However, there were some comments on parenting forums about this bag. The pros and cons below are those comments summarized.
This backpack is only available at Pottery Barn Kids retail stores and on the company's website. It ranges in price from $ to $.
4. Obersee Kid’s All-in-One Pre-School Backpack
- O3 Kid's backpack features a front pocket with an insulated lunch cooler so no need to tote an extra lunch bag
- Adjustable breathable mesh padded straps and breathable padded mesh lumbar section on back for ultimate comfort
- Interior organizer pockets and roomy main compartment large enough to fit standard size school folders
- Comes with a side drink pouch, an exterior pocket for easy access storage and adjustable chest strap
- Ideal for kid's age 3 and up, meets FDA and CPSIA requirements
Given that the Obersee Kid's All-in-One Pre-School Backpack has 19 different colors and patterns, it's safe to say this pack has style and function covered.
This pack has a front insulated pocket that doubles as a lunch bag. Also, it has a mesh water bottle holder. Additionally, the padded back and straps are made of a breathable mesh material making the bag cooler than the standard backpack. It is a smaller backpack measuring 14.5 inches high by 10 inches wide and 5.5 inches deep.
Over 550 Reviewers on Amazon gave this backpack a 4.3 out of 5-star rating.
5. Stephen Joseph All Over Print
- FUN & FUNCTIONAL: Colorful, exciting patterns make this backpack super stylish. Your child is sure to find something they love with the variety of designs offered. Don't forget to make it a set with other coordinating Stephen Joseph products or customize it to make it your own!
- SPECIAL FEATURES: With accessible pockets, fun designs, and an outside hook-on strap, there are plenty of great features on this backpack that are stylish and smart. Cushioned, adjustable straps and a handy hanging loop also make it kid friendly and parent approved! It even has the perfect spot for personalization on the outside pocket and a handy ID label inside to make sure it never gets lost.
- SPACIOUS DESIGN: Measuring 13"x 10.25"x 6", this backpack has plenty of room, making it ready for any of life's adventures. A large front pocket and 2 mesh drink pouches on the sides offer plenty of room for all the necessities.
- HIGH QUALITY: With a sturdy construction and durable polyester exterior, you can be assured this bag is made to last through plenty of wear and tear. Easy to wipe clean and the perfect size for kids, we can promise you will love this backpack!
Next is the Stephen Joseph All Over Print Backpack which is fun and functional, with over 10 different prints and patterns. This bag measures 16 inches high by 12 inches wide and 6.5 inches deep. It's large enough to fit a three-ring binder, change of clothing, lunch, and more.
Alternatively, the inside compartment has a separate pouch perfect for placing folders or binders. It also has a smaller front pocket. There are two mesh drink pockets on the sides. Finally, the padded back and straps provide for a perfect fit.
Sixty Amazon customers have reviewed this bag and given it a 4.8 out of 5-star rating.
6. Willikiva Cute Bear Kids Backpack
- Material : Polyester， Color matching design
- The bag has three sizes.Approximate dimensions :Large:16.5"H X 12.2"L X 5.5"Winch,Medium:15"H X11"L X 4.7"Winch,Small:12.2"H X 9"L X 3.9"Winch.
- Cute Bear， large size and medium size,Suitable for primary school students. The small size is suitable for the infant.
- There is a main compartment, a front pocket, a covering pocket and a small zipper pocket behind it.So many layers are good for children to classify. It is suitable for children to go out, school, shopping, travel, hiking, etc .
- General Backpack for multi purpose. The large size can be used by children and lady .
The unique look of the Willikiva Cute Bear Kids School Backpack will be easy to identify in a sea of other backpacks. That is to say, the cute bear design and bright colors are sure to please the five-year-old in your life.
This larger backpack is 16.5 inches high by 12.2 inches long and 3.9 inches deep. While it's more narrow than some packs, it makes up for it with two exterior zipper pockets and two water bottle holders. However, the straps do not appear to have as much padding as any of the other bags in this list.
There are only 41 customer reviews on Amazon. Nonetheless, the average score is 4.3 stars out of 5.
7. Wildkin Sidekick Backpack
- PLAYGROUND APPROVED - Your child will be the talk of the playground with the Olive Kids by Wildkin 15 Inch Backpack! Eye-catching patterns and a functional design come together to make this backpack a fun addition to your child's school and travel essentials. Two padded, adjustable shoulder straps and a padded back provide a comfortable wear, while the durable top handle is perfect for hanging in a locker before heading to class.
- THE PERFECT SIZE - Fill it up! The 15 Inch Backpack's just-right size means you can bring the school supplies AND your favorite snack. Measuring 15 x 11 x 7 inches, this backpack is perfect for school, practice, and travel. Its two zippered compartments and interior utility pockets and pencil holder make organization a breeze, so your child can find what they need in a snap!
- ULTRA-DURABLE AND EASY-TO-CLEAN - We've designed our 15 Inch Backpack to withstand even the toughest, homework-filled school days. Made from super durable 600-denier polyester fabric with an interior moisture-resistant nylon lining, the 15 Inch Backpack is capable of handling anything you throw at it - both inside and out. If things get a little too messy just spot clean as needed and leave open until completely dry.
- TRAVEL IN STYLE - At Wildkin, we know that details matter to you and your child, and we made sure that our 15 Inch Backpack was designed with that in mind. Featuring vibrant, playful patterns, your child will love this fun new addition to their school and travel gear.
- COORDINATES WITH OTHER WILDKIN GEAR - Make a theme out of it! Each 15 Inch Backpack was designed to coordinate with other Wildkin gear. From lunch boxes, to duffel bags, to sleeping bags, your child will love having their favorite designs with them on-the-go.
The Wildkin Sidekick Backpack has an extensive variety of prints available, topping out with 31 designs. This small backpack is 15 inches high by 11 inches wide and 7 inches deep. It features two large zipper pockets. The shoulder straps and back are padded for comfort and safety. Some colors have a mesh water bottle holder available, while others do not.
With over 1,000 reviews on Amazon, this backpack has 4.5 out of 5 stars.
8. Lonecone Kids’ Preschool Backpack
- TIMELESS PATTERNS - Designed in Boise, Idaho, LONE CONE collaborates with local artists to create classic designs inspired by the joys of childhood that you won't find anywhere else; Available in a variety of patterns, our backpacks appeal to both boys and girls
- DESIGNED WITH A CHILD IN MIND - Large zippers are easy for small hands to open and close; Wide U-shaped openings for frustration-free access to contents; Padded shoulder straps quickly adjust using slide buckles; Independently certified free from BPA, lead, and other toxins
- PLAY PROOF - Tested to withstand over 100 hours of use without loss of function, LONE CONE book bags are made with durable canvas, quality zippers, and reinforced straps; Water-resistant exterior protects their essentials and prolongs the life of the backpack; Inner divider for tablet, activity books, etc.
- THEIR FIRST BACKPACK - Little ones deserve a bag that's big enough, but not so big it swallows them up; Easily fits a lunch box, extra clothing, snacks, and small treasures; Ideal for daycare and pre-K, this backpack will not fit the standard size folders required by some schools; Primary compartment measures 9 x 13.5 x 3.5 in; Interior volume is 7 L (425 cu in)
- ALL SEASON GUARANTEE - To deliver the most value to you and your little ones, every LONE CONE product is guaranteed to last a full 6 months without loss of function; Customers are entitled to a refund or replacement should a product fall short of our standard of quality
The Loncone Kids' Preschool Backpack is a hit with prints like "Gary the Unicorn" and "Owl Be Learnin'." It's one of the less expensive bags in our survey. On the one hand, this bag has promise with wide, padded straps, a padded back, a water bottle holder, a large front pocket in addition to the main compartment.
On the other hand, it is smaller with dimensions of 13.5 inches high by 9.5 inches wide and 3.5 inches deep. Is that enough for what your child will have to carry? Consider carefully.
This bag is popular on Amazon with 207 customers giving it a 4.1 out of 5-star rating.
9. Hynes Eagle Casual Basic Backpack Simple School Bag
- Crafted in 600D polyester and PU; material features colorfast and sturdy; Bar-tack stitches in stress points enhance the durability
- Adjustable thicken breathable mesh shoulder straps maximize carry comfort, top handle is handy to grab or hang
- Exterior features front zip pocket for quicker access your personal items, double side elastic band pockets allow to store your beverage, water bottle or umbrella
- Interior features roomy main compartment to keep school supplies, textbooks, stationery, and has an inner laptop pocket fits up to most 14 inches
- Simple design, lightweight to carry in spring and coming summer, suitable for elementary school or secondary school students, also available for travel, casual or daily
The Hynes Eagle Casual Basic Backpack is the one of the simplest, "old school" kind of backpacks available on the market. Minimalists celebrate! Like several of the others in our survey, this backpack has one main pocket, a smaller zip pocket in the front, and mesh pockets on either side for water bottles. It is a slightly larger size at 16 inches high by 12.2 inches wide by 5.9 inches deep. The straps are constructed with mesh to keep arms fresh and to protect from excess weight.
This backpack is a popular choice on Amazon with 113 customers giving it a rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
10. Lily & Drew Canvas Travel School Backpack
- MEDIUM size 15-inch backpack. Please note there are two sizes: small and medium. This medium-sized backpack is 15.5" tall x 11.5" wide x 6.3" deep. Binders, folders and laptop computers will fit. See pictures and description for reference and further details.
- POCKETS. Two side pockets for water bottles, sun-glasses, etc. Front zippered pocket for small items such as pens, phone, etc. Large main compartment with heavy-duty double zippers for big items such as laptop, binder, books, notebook, folder, and more.
- PERFECT for laptop. Convenient internal sleeve is ideal for a 14-inch laptop computer, tablet or iPad. Perfect fit for MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro 13-inch. Maximum laptop size is about 13-1/2" x 10" x 1" thick.
- DURABLE and PRACTICAL. Heavy-duty 600 denier oxford canvas exterior with padded back. 210 denier oxford interior lining. Adjustable foam-PADDED SHOULDER STRAPS fit all sizes from small teens to full-grown adults.
- OTHER USES: Lightweight carry on travel bag, ladies large backpack purse, cute preschool diaper bag, elementary school student bookbag, hiking, picnic etc.
Cute and straightforward sums up this canvas backpack. It's perfect for kindergarten. This backpack measures 15.5 inches tall by 11.5 inches wide and 6.3 inches deep. It features two water bottle side pockets, one large main pocket, and a small front zippered pocket.
To illustrate this bag's popularity, nearly 700 customers have reviewed it on Amazon, and have given it 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Our Pick for the Best Backpack for Kindergarten
With all things considered -- cost, size, safety, options -- we've determined that the best backpack for kindergarten is the Lands' End Printed Small Backpack. This bag has everything your child will need and can be reused or passed on when your child is done with it.
Do you have a favorite kindergarten backpack that didn't make the list? Tell us in the comments!